The CEPT Oral Proficiency Interview (CEPT OPI) has been specifically designed to assess the oral proficiency of visiting scholars to UArizona and satisfies the requirements of the International Faculty and Scholars office for issuing J1 visas (or other short term visas). OPIs are also administered for UArizona departments wishing to screen the oral proficiency of potential TAs.
This test assesses only the oral proficiency of the test-taker and is designed to measure communicative competence. Test-takers are assessed based on the fluency, accuracy, and range of their spoken language production. Their assessed level of oral proficiency is based on the language scale developed by the world-standard Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). After completing the interview, test-takers will be sent an Official Score Report specifying their level of oral proficiency (not overall proficiency).
CEPT Oral Proficiency Interview
OPI test scores are accepted by the International Faculty and Scholars office at UArizona for the purposes of issuing J-1 visas for potential visiting scholars and student interns. In addition, OPIs are administered for UArizona departments wishing to screen the oral proficiency of potential TAs.
Please note that all potential test-takers should have contacted University of Arizona departments and made arrangements for sponsorship prior to taking this test. No refunds are available once a test-taker has registered. Anybody wishing to re-take the test must wait at least three months to do so. OPI test scores are not admissable for UArizona or CESL coursework.
Total cost: $60.00 (US)
All sales are final. The testing fee is not refundable, transferable, or deferrable.
Any questions about CEPT testing can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Test Procedures and Policies
- The OPI assesses oral proficiency only and does not assess competence in other skills (e.g., Reading, Writing).
- Online application for this test includes students uploading a passport photo or official government ID with picture.
- Typically, interviews are scheduled and conducted within two weeks of applying for the test.
- The test is conducted online (via Skype or other application) and is a 15-minute interview with an assessment specialist from CESL.
- Through a series of questions, both general and academic in nature, the fluency, accuracy, and range of the test-taker’s oral English production is assessed.
- Within two business days of completing the CEPT OPI, the test-taker is sent an official score report via e-mail (and pdf attachment) with the proficiency score from the test.
- The test is scored using a rubric from the Common European Frame of Reference (CEFR), the world-standard proficiency scale for language assessment.
- In order to qualify for a J1 visa, test-takers must score a minimum B2 (i.e., highly independent) on the CEFR scale.
- All CEPT OPI scores awarded are final and not open to appeal.