If you would like to observe one or more CESL classes, please follow the instructions on this page. Up to 9 hours of CESL classes may be observed as a courtesy. Class observations beyond the 9-hour limit will require you to register for a Practicum.
Instructors wishing to observe a CESL class must complete this form and submit it to Dr. Sumayya Granger at least 2 weeks in advance of your proposed observation. University instructors wanting students to observe classes as part of a course should contact Dr. Sumayya Granger in advance with the course information.
All visitors must check-in at 101 CESL to pick up their badge before attending class.
Please note that any documents of completion of observations are available only to students enrolled in CESL programs.
- Check in early in office 101 and pick up your observer badge. If wishing to observe an 8am class, please sign in and get your badge the afternoon prior.
- Arrive early to class and wait outside the class.
- Introduce yourself and ask the teacher for permission to observe before entering the class.
- Be understanding if the teacher does not wish to be observed, or if the teacher asks you to return another day. Some activities are not well-suited to observation or the class may already have two observers.
- Sit in an unobtrusive seat in the class.
- Do not speak up or join in class activities unless asked to do so by the teacher.
- Do not leave/enter the classroom while class is going on unless this is unavoidable.
- Make sure to thank the teacher at the end.
- No more than 2 observers may be present in a class at once.